Thursday, March 27, 2008

Who knew I would be bad at blogging!

Well I guess it's been a long time. So a life update is called for...

I spent Easter at my friend Shannon's parent's house on one of the Islands around Seattle. It was a great day although I did miss my family! We had an Easter egg hunt, ate some delicious food, and went hunting for crabs on the beach.

I just completed my second day at my grown up job. I was hired for the second job I applied for! Amazingness! I am a Community Health Education Coordinator at Swedish Medical Center on First Hill (nicknamed Pill Hill due to all the hospitals in the area) in Seattle. I have been working in the resource center and will be all week. Today, as we do on all Thursdays, we had a Spanish Car Seat Training which was fun. A translator comes and pregnant women who are only spanish speaking come. We train them on how to use their car seats and sell them on a sliding fee scale relating to their income and family size. Most of the women purchase them for only $20 which speaks to what kind of population we serve! Because of our location in the middle of the city, we see all different kinds of patients from all countries, socio-economic status, and languages...it's pretty cool. Due to restructuring of the department, my position is actually a new position. So my responsibilites are still being figured out. Our department takes care of all the patient educational materials, puts on community classes, and has a relationship with Ballard High School. Ballard has a "teen clinic" in which they have a nurse, counselor, and we act as the part time health educator. I am excited to be working and putting my health educator skills to good use.I am commuting a little over a half hour each way on the bus which is a big change. I am constantly missing my early bus by about 30 seconds and waiting 15 min. in the cold for the next one. Maybe I'll do better next week!

This weekend I am heading down to Portland, OR with a few friends. We are going to stay at a hotel downtown and hit up the Asian gardens and some of the art museums. I am excited to explore another great city in the Northwest!

As most of you know, I will be graduating on May 17th. I am planning to be in Kohler from Wednesday May 14-May 15 and La Crosse May 16 - 18th. Give me a call if you are around. A few of my new friends from Seattle are going to fly to Wisconsin for my graduation which I am super pumped for!!!

Happy almost Spring! :)

No comments: